Monday, October 25, 2010

Patience




I love President Uchtdorf. I must admit I have an apostle-crush on him (sorry, honey). The thing that hits me when I hear him speak is that English is his second language. In fact, he struggled with it for many years. And now, he uses beautiful metaphors and words to express what he is saying. What a great example of patience and hard work.


This is something I need to work on. But, let's face it, who doesn't? I watched this video and thought, of course, why wouldn't you wait 15 minutes for another marshmallow? But, how many times have I wanted to jump ahead, or to just get things done without really enjoying them? How many times do we as adults forget the bigger picture?


Today it seems like we live in such an instant world. If we don't know something, we google it and we instantly know. We want and think we deserve to cut corners and waiting in lines. We ( okay I) over schedule ourselves so that we don't have time to be patient.


Without going into too much detail, I've reached a point in my life where I don't really know what I'm doing. I know my eternal purpose, but my everyday purpose seems to get forgotten with the to-do lists and homework assignments. I've felt a little disconnected. I keep on letting myself think "someday I'll be able to do _______". I wish I would be patient enough to find joy in the journey. 


"Stresses in our lives come regardless of our circumstances. We must deal with them the best we can. But we should not let them get in the way of what is most important—and what is most important almost always involves the people around us." - President Monson


Ain't that the truth. I'm going to try and be better at that. :)

1 comment:

  1. Isn't conference great? I love getting guidance specific for me and my life. Thanks for this, Nat. I think you're just wonderful, you're a good example to me. (:

    ReplyDelete