Sunday, January 30, 2011

Best. Recipe. Ever.

I love bread. A lot. Bread and butter may be my favorite snack/meal, especially is the bread is fresh. At restaurants I tend to eat more of the before-the-food-comes-out bread than my actual meal. Since I am at work/school all day, I love using my crockpot whenever I can. I found this recipe on my friend Whitney's blog (see my list of family and friends) and decided to modify it a bit.

Here's the recipe for white bread. In a crock pot. It really works, I promise!

Classic White Bread:

1 envelope (0.25 ounce)
OR 2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 c. warm water
1 egg
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 c. lukewarm water
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. sugar
31/2 - 4 c. flour

In a bowl, combine yeast, 1 tsp. sugar, and 1/4 c. warm water.
Allow yeast to foam, about 5 minutes.
Add egg, oil, lukewarm water, salt,
1/4 c. sugar, and 2 cups of flour.
Beat with an electric mixer 2 minutes on low.
With a wooden spoon, stir in the remaining flour.
Place dough in greased 4-5 quart slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high heat for 2-3 hours.
Remove stoneware from slow cooker and
let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
Makes 10-15 servings.
Serve with butter and your favorite jam!




Yum. Now, yesterday I really wanted to try it, but I was in the mood for some rosemary bread - like they have at Macaroni Grill. So, I added some rosemary to do dough, and sprinkled a little bit olive oil, garlic seasoning, and a tiny bit of cheese on top. It was almost gone before I could snap a picture!



Alex loved it, a requested it again today. It takes 3 hours to finish baking -- perfect timing for church :)


Hope you are all doing well!

xoxo
-Nat

5 comments:

  1. I just made this. And it was DELICIOUS! Sunflowers add a nice kick to it too. Thanks for the recipe, Nat! What a lovely Sunday snack. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness SO trying this next Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow I am very excited to try this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM-O. I never would think you could cook break in a crock pot, let alone MACARONI GRILL bread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nat- thanks for the recipe- I will definitely try it! Sorry I missed seeing you and Alex and Heather on my recent trip to Utah! We will catch you next time for sure. I want to meet Heather's new boyfriend. It is great fun to see you in the Divine Comedy videos. I imagine you really miss it.You have a CUTE blog!! xxooAuntie Pammy

    ReplyDelete