Wednesday, June 23, 2010

How we met...

Since in about a month it will be two years since I met Alex, and I figured I should probably record the story before I forget it all together. At the time, I was keeping a journal...sort of :)

Whenever people ask us how we met, I like to say "we were in the same singles ward a while ago", but Alex like to say with a grin on his face "We met in a hot tub. She looked good!"

The hot tub thing is unfortunately true. But it's not what you think. I promise.

The week after the Monk Family reunion ( which happens every two years, and the next one is in a couple weeks! ) I flew out to UT to start filming a small movie I was in. My friends Matt and Sarah and Lindsi, all from Divine Comedy, where working on the project with me. It was a great learning experience, and I'm glad I did it. It was very independent and spontaneous of me. :)

So, I'm in UT making a movie with my friends, and getting paid for it. Tough life, eh? About a week into the shoot, my apartment contract for the Fall opens up. It was late July/early August. I had been staying with my friend Lindsi, but I moved into my apartment as soon as I could. I was the only one of my roommates there, so I invited my friends over to go swimming. Enter hot tub.

We were all hanging out, being goofy and talking about Divine Comedy things. We were swimming, and all decided to go into the hot tub. After a while, these two really cute guys sat in the hot tub too. There was the awkward hey-i-don't-know-you-but-we're-essentially-bathing-together greetings. When I looked up and saw them, I thought "Man, I hope they're in my ward. Especially the blonde one. Woah, what a smile". For real. I really remember thinking that. Of course, Morgan said his name was Alex, and they had me fooled for the first week I knew them into thinking Morgan was Alex and Alex was Morgan. Doesn't surprise you, huh?

We starting talking, I told them what apartment I was in, and Alex said "I think that's in our ward". I then started to think, "Man, I hope they're in my FHE group". We talked to them about Divine Comedy, and neither of them know what it was, which I thought was AWESOME. I had too many guys try to talk to me about Divine Comedy, or getting into it if they were my friend. It got annoying.

I was looking through my journal the other day from around that time. I found one entry after our first Sunday, when I found out that those boys were in my FHE groups. I wrote "We got put with apartment 207 today, and I am actually really excited. They all seem like really nice guys. The cute guys from the hot tub are in that apartment :). Morgan seems nice, and Alex seems a little more outgoing. He's cute -- but the kind of cute that always has a girlfriend. Oh well, that's the least of my worries right now."

Good one, Nat.

Then, we both would date other people on and off. Mainly Alex.  We were friends, we would talk/text/flirt occasionally. Everytime I would come over there was a girl with him. Seriously.But then, when we both had stopped dating someone, we started getting to know each other more and more. I went up to dinner at his family's house with my friends Alex and Kittye, and his family told him he should date me. I remember overhearing his mom ask him "Is she the one you were talking about?" and hoping so hard that she was talking about me. Turns out she was. :)


2 comments:

  1. I love it! I was actually wanting to post our meeting story on our blog just on Sunday, for the same reasons as you - I need to get it down before I forget! However, I'm quite verbose and overly-detailed and our meeting story (in my opinion) requires a lot of background etc. and before I knew it I had 4 pages of a word document. And I wasn't done. Woops. Sometime I'll try to condense it down and maybe I'll post it. :)
    PS - Also, Carter and I did meet a few of the girls he dated, and we're so glad he finally had sense enough to pick you. :) You are by far the best one! (Obviously.) :)

    ReplyDelete