Thursday, July 8, 2010

Cilantro Lime Quesadillas

I'm sorry that I blog so much. I'm not even too sure that anybody really reads this, but it's what I do when things get slow at work. Like right now. :)


I have exciting news. I took an extended lunch break and interviewed at a Pre-school up in Lehi that's a Theatre Pre-school. Yes, you read correctly, a THEATRE PRE-SCHOOL. It's totally my dream job. The exciting part is that they seemed to think I was qualified, the interview went well, and now they want me back next Tuesday morning to team teach a class and see if I'm good at it. Hooray! That part doesn't make me nervous at all, that's the fun part. :) So, we'll see how it goes. The job would be to teach my own class from mid-August to May, so during my senior year. If I don't get it it's okay, I've got plenty on my plate for next year. :) If I do get it, hooray! I will have gotten my dream job before I even graduate college.


I am one incredibly blessed and lucky girl. :)


So I like to cook. Last night I did my first attempt at Guru's Cilantro Lime Quesadillas -- it's my favorite. It's Alex's favorite. I should probably learn to make this at home right? Well, I basically guessed on it, like most things, and tweak as I go until I get the perfect recipe. I think I got this down...now onto the sweet potato fries. :)


Last night Alex said, as I was telling myself things I could tweak, "Don't change anything. This is better than Guru's. You need to write this down and make it exactly like this every time." No joke. I guess he liked it.


So here it is! I'm always a little vague with recipes, but hopefully this gives you the idea. 




Cilantro Lime Quesadillas




Cilantro Pesto Sauce


Combine in a bowl and whisk together:


about 4 or 5 Tablespoons of pesto ( I love recipes with pesto! )
1/2 to 3/4 of a bundle of fresh cilantro chopped
some chopped red onion ( put in as much as you like)
A dash or two of garlic powder
A few generous squirts of lime juice ( fresh is you have it)
throw in some lime zest if you want too
1/3 cup or less of chicken broth until it gets the consistancy you want


Taste and make any adjustments according to what flavors you like best.


Corn salsa


Boil/heat up/ cook a couple handfuls of sweet corn and onions ( green onions, red, white, whatever you have) and chopped cilantro for inside the Quesadilla and set aside in a bow.


Chicken
For the chicken, I just crock-potted some chicken with a can of cream of chicken and taco seasoning. It would also be yummy with plain old grilled chicken marinaded in something like :


1 cup water
1/8 cup or less of olive oil
4 or 5 tablespoons of taco seasoning
a few dashes of onion powder


and then grilled up! Crock pots make a VERY tender chicken, which I like the best.


Tortillas
I used store bought, but homemade would be yummy too, I just didn't have much time. I brushed each side of the tortilla with a little olive oil and sprinkled it with taco seasoning/garlic powder mixture. Any kind of yummy Mexican spices will do. I toasted them on the stove over medium heat on each side until they were slightly crispy.


Put 'em all together! :)


Now, I used a Quesadilla maker we got for our wedding to melt it all together, but you can also just throw everything on the skillet on the stove top and flip it over. I layered it on as follows:


Cilantro Lime Pesto mixture ( I strained it a little with a fork and then put it on the tortilla)
Taco Chicken
Corn/onion mixture
Shredded mexican blend cheese


..be sure not to put too much for the first few tries, it could be too juicy! But you'll get the hang of it after the first one.


Let it cool for a minute, slice it, and enjoy!






I like to serve it with some fresh salsa and sour cream. YUM!


Happy cooking :) Hopefully sweet potato fries and other Guru's yummies to come!




1 comment:

  1. a)I'm totally making these quesadillas for summer tomorrow!
    b)SO RAD about the job. Really hope you get it.
    c)Blog away, how else am I supposed to stay up all night at work?

    You guys look so great!!!

    ReplyDelete