Friday, July 16, 2010

One year ago...

One year ago today, I woke up in a dorm in Helaman Halls. I was working as a Sports and Dance camp counselor, and all I had to do that morning was make sure my girls were awake and getting to their various activities, and I was off work until 4 that afternoon. I was going to see Alex *butterfly flutter in stomach * soon, and the only thing we had planned to do was to go look at rings again. I remember thinking, “I’m seriously looking at rings?! Can this be happening?!”, but also being so, so happy at the same time. I woke up to a sweet text message, as I often did, that said “Happy Anniversary! There’s a surprise in the scooter…” and then some mushy lovey dovey stuff. I think it was our 6 month anniversary from our first date? Maybe it was 7 months. I know, I know, only 6 months, but we were almost constantly together for about a month before that even happened, and knew each other 6 months before that date. So, I didn’t feel rushed into it.

I had the best summer job – I worked from 4 pm until 9 am the next morning, hanging out with kids, and eating all of my meals at the new Cannon Center. Oh, and spending 9 am to 4 pm falling in love with Alex.

So, I quickly got dressed, made sure my girls were awake, and then started to get ready to go home. I found a daisy (my favorite) and a note that said “There’s another surprise for you at our spot”. Now, this may require some back story. Alex and I would go on drives a lot when we were dating to talk and get away from roommates. We love to drive up by the Y and admire the view. There’s a house (scroll down and slick Street View), the last house on the hill before you get to the Y parking lot, that we absolutely love. At the time it was for sale, and we always joked about retiring in Provo and buying that house some day. I would still love that. :) So, there’s a spot kind of right by the house, where you can park and look at the view. We used to ride the scooter up there and talk for hours. I love that spot.

I stopped by Gold’s Gym because I saw Erica and Andrew and told them what was happening. I think Andrew thought Alex was proposing, but I said “Oh, no, he does stuff like this all the time. And we’re looking at more rings this afternoon.” Which was true by the way – he does really romantic things for me all the time. And we were going to look at rings that afternoon. Or so I thought. :)

I finally got there, and there was Alex! :) Now, at the time he was working as a Dental Assistant, and worked a few mornings a week. He got this morning off! I was so excited to see him! The first thing I told him was “Your flower fell out when I was driving!”. He parked the car so that I couldn’t see behind it, and led me around. He had set up a Kneader’s breakfast picnic. YUM. If you haven’t had their French toast, you need to. In fact, we went this morning before I had to work to celebrate our little anniversary today. :)

So, we sit, we have breakfast, we talk, it was so wonderful. Then Alex gets kind of….nervous. I’ve never seen him nervous, not even before speaking in church. He says, “I’ve got one more thing for you. Close your eyes really quick.” What a guy. At this point, I thought -- man, he's really being romantic today! I honestly had no clue, because we were looking at rings today! So, I close my eyes, and I can hear plastic rustling. He told me I could open my eyes, and right in front of my face was a dozen red roses. I took them from him, and looked at them and said “Oh, honey they’re beautiful!” or something like unto it. I saw in the corner of my eye Alex kneel down for something. 

Then I looked at him, and he was on one knee. With a ring box in his hand! He said some very sweet things about me then told me that he loved me and wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. He said THE question, and I said “Ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh” for about two minutes. I’m pretty sure I said ohmygosh before he even asked the question. Or maybe even spoke. I could NOT believe that he was proposing to me right now! He laughed at me and hugged me. In my mind, I had already said yes, but poor Alex was just waiting for an answer. He said “Babe, you haven’t said yes yet”, and I shouted “Yes, yes of course!” He put the ring on my finger. It is such a beautiful ring. I had picked out the setting a couple weeks before that, but didn’t really think much of it. I just said “Oh, I really like that one.” And I do! I wish I had a good picture with me now. I’ll have to post one once I’m back on my computer. :) It’s simple and elegant and classic. Anyways, at this point you know I was crying. I started crying during the ohmygosh ohmygosh time. It was such a wonderful moment. It was actually a really spiritual experience for me.

THEN, we went home to Alpine to show the family the ring, which of course they had all seen. We made a million phone calls. Alex told me about calling my Dad the night before, and how nervous he was. We went and saw the new HARRY POTTER, and that night for work, we ate in the Sky Room, this really delicious and nice restaurant on campus at BYU. It really was the perfect day. :)

I loved Alex so much then, and I love him so much more now. I never planned to get married when I did, but I’m so grateful that I did get married when I did. I could never imagine life without Alex, and I am so grateful for him, and that he asked me to marry him a year ago. And that we’re married now. :)

To celebrate (okay, not really) we’re takin’ a red eye to NYC tonight, and then an early morning flight to North Carolina and relaxing for a week at the beach with the MONK FAMILY! We’re so, so excited.

Happy Friday! :)
Love you guys,

Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment